[dsc] Prometheus support for dsc/dsc-datatool?

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Thu Feb 3 10:27:19 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Support for Prometheus node_exporter's Textfile Collector has been added
and are available in the develop branch and pre-release packages for
testing.

It's a bit of a special case and I hope someone can write a guide/blog
about how to set this up(?).

   Prometheus' node_exporter

     This output can be used together with Prometheus' node_exporter's
     Textfile Collector to automate statistics gathering but some
     specific setup and requirements must be meet.

     You must hide the timestamp with option timestamp=hide because
     timestamps are not supported by the Textfile Collector.

     You must make sure only one XML file from a server+node combination
     is processed at a time.  Because otherwise you will have multiple
     data point from the same metric in the files generated and because
     the Textfile Collector does not support timestamps it cannot
     separate the measurements.

     You must make sure that only one file (per server+node combo) is
     generated for the Textfile Collector to read, and it should be the
     same between runs.  See Textfile Collectors documentation how to
     setup that atomically.

There are also other ways to use DSC with Prometheus, Dan Hanks (Adobe)
shared a piece of code that they use:

   <https://gist.github.com/danhanks/9c59734f380ac56a8c1bdb7bec54bdb4>

If you want to use this you'll likely need to download and modify it to
fit your setup and needs.

But if anyone wanna take it and try make it more for general purpose use
then feel free to reach out to me!

Cheers,
Jerry