[dsc] Stats Collection

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Fri Jun 30 05:29:26 UTC 2017

Hi Matt,

On 06/29/17 18:48, Matt wrote:
> Something that I have not been able to determine is, from the data collected and then processed, can I extract the data for a specific domain or domains.
>
> i.e queries for that domain as a total from a period of time and going more granular, queries for the type of record for a specific domain.

The data DSC saves is aggregated and indexed in the way described in the
configuration file, for example it simply stores the number of queries
it saw per QTYPE. The data saved is only that so you can't "dive" into
it to see what domains were queried.

What you can do is configure DSC to store this per 2nd level domains (or
3rd level):

  dataset second_ld_vs_qtype dns Qtype:qtype SecondLD:second_ld
replies-only max-cells=50;

There are dataset in the example configuration that does this for RCODE
that you can look at and there are many indexer to choose from (see
"INDEXERS AND FILTERS" in man dsc.conf).

Hope that explains how DSC collects data.

Cheers,
Jerry