[dsc] Collector Customizations

Duane Wessels wessels at measurement-factory.com
Tue Aug 18 04:58:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, AJ McKee wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've been playing with DSC for a few days now and am wondering how I would
> go about accomplishing recording just the client IP address and the record
> they queried. From there I'll take the dataset and run my own presenter over
> it as well as the DSC one.
>
> Could this be done by a filter rule, or would I be really looking at
> altering the sources?

Hi AJ,

There is some good news/bad news.

The good news is that the collector part should be easy to customize.  You could
create a dataset such as:

    dataset client_and_qname dns ClientAddr:client Qname:qname queries-only;

The resulting XML file sent from collector to presenter might be pretty
big, depending on how busy your nameserver is.

The bad news is that the presenter won't know how to handle this new dataset.
If you do nothing, I think you might see some warnings in some of the cron
job output.  You won't see any .dat files or graphs for this dataset.

If you want .dat files and/or graphs, you have to decide how the data
should be stored and displayed.  Then write some perl code to do that.
I can give advice if it gets to that point.

If you just want the data to be collected, you could write your own
XML reader and then do something else with it after that...

Duane W.