[dsc] DNS Queries Trending

Duane Wessels wessels at measurement-factory.com
Sat Sep 6 08:30:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, David A. Evans wrote:

>        I'm looking to do some trending with the data that DSC has
> collected over the last year for our servers.   I'm looking a doing a 1
> year query/sec graph with a trend line for the next 6 months or a year.
> Before I started digging into the data structure I want to make sure
> nobody has done this or I'm not over looking something that will do this
> already built into the tool.
>        I tried adding a 1 year time scale into the presenter and see that
> its limited to 1 month.   Is that due to the number of data points that
> something piece can handle or is it load on the presenter that caused the
> limit to be coded into the application?

Hi David,

In theory you can add "1 year" to the presenter config file, but in practice
it doesn't work because it takes too much time to read 356 (x number of nodes)
files.  The apache/CGI interface probably times out.

In the past I have written some scripts to read and process long time
spans of data, but its always been custom "one-off" type scripts.

If you're comfortable reading someone else's Perl code, you can take
a look at perllib/DSC/grapher.pm and the load_data subroutine in
particular.   With a few tweaks that would give you something that can
read the files pretty easily (although still slowly).

Duane W.