[dnscap-users] dnscap 1.2.0 dropping packets vs version 20160205?

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Mon Dec 12 06:17:57 UTC 2016

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been away.

There has been A LOT of changes to the internals of dnscap due to
reported packet lost and what I found while trying to solve it is that
some combinations of libpcap and linux kernel version tend to drop more
then others.  What kernel are you running?

As Duane results below, all the testing I've done have only shown
improvement in the packet capturing.

With 1.2.0 and pcap-thread [2] the capturing is done in threads, can you
rerun your tests with -S to see if it is dropping packets because of CPU?

I also see that you are using -t 300 and I've recently noticed an issue
with the -t flag that I've yet had time too look closer on, this may be
responsible for your numbers.  If you can please also capture with
tcpdump first and the run the various versions on the pcap file.

Cheers,
Jerry