[dns-operations] Monitoring DNS Record Changes

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Sep 9 17:45:42 UTC 2024

At Farsight Security which was sold to Domain Tools in late 2021, we had two
services that could be used this way. There was DNSDB, which if combined with
cron could make a data-at-rest query for each of your domains once per day and
tell you of differences in the then-newest rrset. And there was the SIE
channel called DNS Changes by which you could tell an agent in their "cloud"
what DNS owner names you wanted to watch, and then hear in real time whenever
a "DNS Change" occurred which matched your watch criteria.

As far as I know both services are still alive and well at Domain Tools.

Note that I will benefit in no material way from any action anyone may take as
a result of this post. It's just that as the founder and CEO of Farsight
Security, I remain proud of what we accomplished in our first 8½ years.

--
P Vixie