[dns-operations] Strange things at C root name server

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue May 21 20:45:38 UTC 2024

> On May 21, 2024, at 22:08, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> Second, c.root-servers.org (.org, the Web server) does not reply and
> its IP address is allocated to Orange Ivory Coast (which started to
> announce this prefix four days ago).

When you say “is allocated to,” do you mean something other than that they’re BGP announcing 38.230.3.0/24?  Because the IANA and all five RIRs appear to me to be in agreement that 38.230.3.0/24 is still part of 38/8, and is still a legacy allocation to PSInet, and thus to their inheritor Cogent, in the ARIN region.

This appears to me to be a simple instance of BGP hijacking.  And, amusingly, an unintentional origination, so the one quadrant of the intentional/unintentional origin/path matrix which RPKI could potentially have helped with.

                                -Bill