[dns-operations] Prevalence of nameserver software Was: Re: DNS Operations

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Sun Mar 3 17:26:43 UTC 2024

Speaking to the message not the (ChetGPT) "massage"...

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> [...]
> I define most popular as the largest number of DNS server installed throughout the whole world.

I think this is a valid point. DNS is not synonymous with the Internet;
neither is operations.

Internal DNS servers exist, and with guidance concerning the need for
network segmentation there should be a lot more of them. I have had
several requests and inquiries over the past few years specifically
concerning a desire to log the addresses of clients making requests.

These requests persistently refuse to accept that DNS is an application
level protocol, and that a request (or response) is recast by every
nameserver it passes through even if it is merely "forwarding": "there
must be a way!" People go to great lengths, there's a lot of language
lawyering and playing with EDNS involved in these attempts.

Invariably my answer (for all but the most technical questions) is install
a real DNS server with visibility inside of the NAT horizon (if there is
one; there usually is), and that the general-purpose "logging" solution is
Dnstap.

My admittedly cynical response to the question posed here is that the most
common server software is probably a lightweight forwarder (e.g. dnsmasq)
or something which only coincidentally does DNS (e.g. Active Directory).

--

Fred Morris, internet plumber