[dns-operations] New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Wes Hardaker wjhns1 at hardakers.net
Fri Jun 2 22:50:53 UTC 2023

Robert Story <rstory at ant.isi.edu> writes:

> We are indeed testing with the new addresses, but it will not be
> considered  production until 2023-11-27. The addresses and/or routes
> may have brief or extended outages, so I wouldn't recommend switching
> anything ahead of our announced dates for the cut-over.

Robert is correct that we are operating it (and we made sure we were
before even announcing the upcoming change).  I think there is a good
question as to whether or not we are supporting it fully now as a
"production" address, to which I can say: we have no intent to stop
advertising and supporting service to it from now on.

But, having said that, the announcement and expected change within the
official root zone distributed by IANA will be on 2023-11-27 per the
announcement and our agreement with IANA.  We do not recommend anyone
switch their local root-hints files ahead of that date, as the result
will be a resolver that actually reverts back to our current production
date after receiving the priming query responses anyway (as only our
current addresses are in the root zone and root-servers.net zone today).

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI