[dns-operations] New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Wes Hardaker wjhns1 at hardakers.net
Fri Jun 2 22:46:06 UTC 2023

Mike Hollyman via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> writes:

> My understanding is that the ARIN micro-allocations for Critical
> Infrastructure are not permitted to be transferred to other RIR.

That is correct.  Additionally, some of the goal was not just RPKI
related but rather to have a critical allocation entirely under the
control of another RIR.  This in no way is intended to say anything
negative about ARIN, who has supported our last address change
perfectly.  But there was a general agreement that the critical
infrastructure associated with the Root Server System would be best
served with an address distribution that came from a spread of all the
RIRs.  USC/ISI offered to re-allocated under LACNIC to help the RSS
achieve this goal, both with and without RPKI.

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI