[dns-operations] Important change for the .ga TLD 6th june 2023

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Jun 2 14:15:33 UTC 2023

> On Jun 2, 2023, at 3:53 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 11:03:19AM +0300,
> Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote
>> I'm not involved at all, but wondering:
>> no webpage for registrants to check whether their domain will 'survive'?
> The way I see it (disclaimer: I don't work for ANINF), if you
> registered through a registrar, you're probably safe (check the list
> of registrars in <https://mon.ga/english.html>, and check with your
> registrar), if you registered directly from Freenom, you're probably
> not safe (Freenom did not send the data to the registry).

There’s a tremendous amount of malware and phishing, and even some national military cyber-offensive stuff, in the domains that Freenom gave away for free.  Each of the countries that’s repatriating gets to make its own policy decision about how it wants to handle those, but most of them seem to be leaning toward “flush all the bad stuff and let people re-justify if they can.”  Having looked closely at the registrations, I can say that I have pretty high confidence that very few good domains are likely to get caught up with the bad, in that flushing process, and the good ones should be able to re-authenticate themselves to the legit registry.

                                -Bill