[dns-operations] How should work name resolution on a modern system?

Dave Lawrence tale at dd.org
Wed Jun 15 17:33:51 UTC 2022

Viktor Dukhovni writes:
> Single label names passed to getaddrinfo(3) should not result in single
> label "A" or "AAAA" DNS queries.

http://ai./

Admittedly a rarity, and in general problematic in other contexts.  My
own corporate VPN won't even allow a proper DNS lookup of it (or any
address lookup on a TLD), though there's other irritating brokenness
going on there that I have zero control over.  But the address for the
.ai TLD does work in non-broken environments, and the policy assertion
above would be unsupported by the current standards.

Kind of surprising to me the number of TLDs who report their address
as 127.0.53.53:

.arab
.cpa
.kids