[dns-operations] How should work name resolution on a modern system?

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Sat Jun 11 01:14:12 UTC 2022

I think those are good questions, I don't have a lot of unqualified
opinions and less answers.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2022, Petr Menšík wrote:
> I were thinking about requirements for future name resolution primarily on
> Linux desktop and servers.

Ok. I don't like what systemd is doing, overall. I don't like their
attitude, which seems to be "if you don't like us owning all interfaces,
run VMs".

But generally:

* On a modern system it should be possible to specify the resolution plan
at the system / user / process level.

* Search lists haven't gone away, and we haven't solved the resource
naming problem for what it is: why isn't "mail" or "www" unambiguous? What
about "here"? Isn't that really "mail [for here]"?

* Why don't we use the DNS to solve search lists?

I will sit back and watch now.

--

Fred Morris