[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Browser Public suffixes list

Meir Kraushar meir at isoc.org.il
Mon Aug 29 20:31:27 UTC 2022

Hi kim
Launching this IDN TLD was actually the first time we created a new TLD
(well, besides the cctld we already maintain from long ago). For a small
registry like ours, it is something  you will probably never practice. So
frankly, no one here knew that the PSL ever existed, until we were cought
in a bind. Even then, it took us a lot of googling and time to come across
some relevant information, and finally to realize the existance of PSL, to
our embarrassment. When that happened it was already too late, we had to
postpone the new TLD launch.
As the DNS guy we did everything. All required procedures with ICANN and
IANA. But then we found out that there is this "little thing" with browsers.
I think it's important to prevent such a mishap from happening again.
My experience with IANA is such that when something matters and is
important, you know how to make it very clear to us registries.  I was not
suggesting automation or synchronization with Mozilla, that of course is
complicated.
But for example  a remark in the rzm site, a reference to the documentation
would have emphasized the PSL stage, would have put
 that info in front of us.
Meir