[dns-operations] Browser Public suffixes list

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Aug 27 18:20:53 UTC 2022

Viktor Dukhovni wrote on 2022-08-27 11:06:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 10:48:46AM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
> Another aspect of the problem, is that the browsers unified the address
> bar and the search bar in order to "improve" (make simpler than
> possible) the browser user interface.  This creates a fundamental
> ambiguity about user intent.  Did the user type a URL sans scheme prefix
> or a search term?  Using the PSL to "disambiguate" is a hack.

browsers gonna browse. there's nothing we can do about that in the
protocols. time was, any character-by-character current value in the
browser bar which was syntactically valid as a domain name (by regex
without reference to a PSL or any other dictionary) would be sent to the
DNS resolver. apparently this wasn't monetizing enough. we march on.

--
P Vixie