[dns-operations] Browser Public suffixes list

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Sat Aug 27 18:06:04 UTC 2022

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 10:48:46AM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:

> this...
>
> Meir Kraushar via dns-operations wrote on 2022-08-27 02:56:
> > 2) The need to maintain a list dedicated to browser issues is out of our
> > scope. I'm sure there are good reasons to have it, like you said, there
> > is gap between the worlds.
>
> ...is why the IETF DBOUND (domain boundaries) working group was
> originally formed, and why efforts are underway to resuscitate it.

Another aspect of the problem, is that the browsers unified the address
bar and the search bar in order to "improve" (make simpler than
possible) the browser user interface.  This creates a fundamental
ambiguity about user intent.  Did the user type a URL sans scheme prefix
or a search term?  Using the PSL to "disambiguate" is a hack.

--
    Viktor.