[dns-operations] Browser Public suffixes list

Jothan Frakes jothan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 03:07:20 UTC 2022

Hi Meir-

I have had some dialog with your CEO on this related to the introduction of
this TLD and its subdomains and the PSL PR expediting for
https://github.com/publicsuffix/list/pull/1595.  I volunteer time to
maintain the PSL and I did bump the ישראל, אקדמיה.ישראל, ישוב.ישראל ,
צהל.ישראל , ממשל.ישראל namespaces to the front of the queue and invested
time to get that pushed and merged.

He explained the delay in launch that the ISOC had to do related to this,
which is really regrettable.

I spend a tremendous amount of time attempting to spread the word about the
PSL to ccTLDs and gTLDs to help with awareness, at TechDay during ICANN
meetings, the Registry Operators Workshop (ROW), regional ccTLD
associations and a variety of conferences so that ccTLD administrators are
aware of it.

Crucially, around 2019 I spent a good amount of time with Paul Hoffman (who
you see here in thread) from the ICANN Office of the CTO (OCTO) in
authoring a document that the IANA would furnish to ccTLDs/gTLDs upon their
delegation to the root.

This was another proactive effort to spread information about the PSL and
the reach it has in bridging the divide, and ccTLDs were to receive this so
that they were informed proactively about the Public Suffix List.

Quick question for you. *Was the PSL information provided to you by the
IANA at delegation last year*?  It was a lot of proactive effort and time
investment on our parts and it could have prevented the current timing
matter being faced.

The PSL is a catalog.  Full stop.  We have zero ability to direct how it is
used, what changes someone may make (add/remove entries), frequency of
updates or product roadmaps.  In the case of IOS/MACOS, Safari updates are
typically included with general OS updates so they are less frequent.

The Universal Acceptance direction that you're being steered to is
something that really does not like to give any attention or credence to
the reach of the PSL and what it does to reduce the aggravation you are
experiencing, but there might be some connections to browser contacts that
could be helpful.  And you're likely to meet others that experience some of
the challenges that are unknown unknowns in navigating IDN interoperability.

Candidly, there is a massive chasm between the world of software and
solution developers and the world of ICANN, and the PSL is a rope bridge
between them that has been in place.  Devs have zero tolerance for
bureaucracy and candidly there is not a place that exists within the ICANN
multistakeholder model that has any amount of benefits to offset the
friction that participation would represent (costs, time, obligations, etc).

Browsers (etc users of PSL) voluntarily include it, give or take, at their
pace.  Can't force anything on them, and straying from our status quo has
some of them talking about splintering off their own.  So imagine having to
hunt the resource down being multiplied by the number of browsers, each
with their own process, and you might see how this has been left in its
current state.

-Jothan