[dns-operations] [Ext] Browser Public suffixes list

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Fri Aug 26 22:25:49 UTC 2022

On Aug 26, 2022, at 2:43 PM, Meir Kraushar via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:
> So bottom line, browser behavior is not based on DNS resolving, nor by any IANA list, but rather on the PSL.

This is interesting info, thanks! The PSL is used by browsers for things like preventing cross-site scripting, but should not be relied on for "is it really a TLD". For that, IANA has many tools, including <https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt>. There's also, you know, the DNS itself....

> As I wrote earlier we have already merged the diff into the list.
> The next update of firefox and hopefully chromium based browsers (sept 26), should contain the updated list.
> The only browser we could not find any documentation on this matter is Apple's safari.
> p.s It has nothing to do with right to left scripts.

Whew! That's very good news.

--Paul Hoffman