[dns-operations] Browser Public suffixes list

Meir Kraushar meir at isoc.org.il
Fri Aug 26 21:43:51 UTC 2022

Indeed, TLD  xn--4dbrk0ce  was signed and published earlier this year.
As the DNS guy I was sure this is it.
Later on we discovered that browsers have their own lives.
It appears as if firefox and chromium browsers determine if an entered
value is a  domain name or a search value, based on a list called  "PSL",
which is maintained by Mozilla volunteers:
https://publicsuffix.org/
Like I said, this was new to us and frankly very surprising. I think this
xkcd
describes this situation best: https://xkcd.com/2347

So bottom line, browser behavior is not based on DNS resolving, nor by any
IANA list, but rather on the PSL.
As I wrote earlier we have already merged the diff into the list.
The next update of firefox and hopefully chromium based browsers (sept 26),
should contain the updated list.
The only browser we could not find any documentation on this matter is
Apple's safari.
p.s It has nothing to do with right to left scripts.