[dns-operations] SHA-1 DNSSEC verification broken in RHEL 9 and CentOS 9 Stream

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 09:23:26 UTC 2022

No, SHA-1 is not going to be disabled the same way MD5 were disabled in
RHEL 7. Normal message digests using SHA-1 will still work. I know NSEC3
has no other alternative and therefore we cannot afford breaking it
altogether. It would break almost all resolution in the most common top
level domains. Any attempt to do that would be clear blocker for a
release and no, nothing such is planned or implemented.

What will start failing are attempts to verify digests made using SHA-1
and RSA keys used in the same openssl API call. I have included examples
of openssl calls which would now return error. sha1sum and similar tools
should still work unmodified. That means also NSEC3 would still work. I
haven't seen complete API call list affected by this change. I cannot
share it therefore.

Power DNS developer said their implementation still works. It seems
using lower-level API calls can avoid this change of policy. That is
discouraged by our internal guidelines, but could be used as a
workaround. I haven't tested those ways.

On 4/14/22 07:02, Shreyas Zare wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apart from DNSSEC validation, have you also tested DNS servers hosting
> DNSSEC signed zones with NSEC3? This is since NSEC3 only has SHA1
> specified
> <https://www.iana.org/assignments/dnssec-nsec3-parameters/dnssec-nsec3-parameters.xhtml>
> and this may cause the DNS server unable to update the zone to create
> new NSEC3 records. This will mean that even if the zone is signed with
> ECDSA algorithms but use NSEC3 then they are going to fail.

Yes, I am aware there is no other hash algorithm standardized. I have
tested NSEC3 stays working and validates in DEFAULT policy. If you can
find a case where it stopped working on centos stream9 container, please
share steps to reproduce with me. I don't think that can happen, but you
can prove me wrong.

> Regards,
> *Shreyas Zare*
> Technitium <https://technitium.com/>

Regards,
Petr

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB