[dns-operations] Command Line BIND Query to Delegating Name Servers Gives FORMERR - Is this Bad for Normal DNS Operations by Public Resolvers?

Petr Špaček pspacek at isc.org
Mon Sep 20 14:15:26 UTC 2021

Hi Jason,

I think you already answered yourself in your blog post:
https://kevinlocke.name/bits/2017/01/20/formerr-from-microsoft-dns-server-for-dig/

 >  This behavior appears to violate “Any OPTION-CODE values not
understood by a responder or requestor MUST be ignored.” from Section
6.1.2 of RFC 6891, but that is of small consolation for a non-working
system.

So yes, the authoritative server most likely has a bug.

How to approach the operation in question - that's a hard problem. You
can either try various contacts you find, you can ask send name of the
domain here and ask them to contact you off-list. For TLDs this method
can work surprisingly well :-)

Good luck.
Petr Špaček