[dns-operations] Command Line BIND Query to Delegating Name Servers Gives FORMERR - Is this Bad for Normal DNS Operations by Public Resolvers?

Jason Hynds jason.hynds at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:37:24 UTC 2021

Hi,

I hope that the following conforms to the content expected of this list.

I stumbled on some /name servers/ (a branch of a ccTLD, performing a
public good service, as far as I know) which are giving a FORMat ERRor
(FORMERR) to default /dig/ queries from the command line as described in
the referenced webpage, see [1] below. The workaround of +nocookie
described in the blog allows for a successful query response. /Nslookup/
queries work fine.

I should mention that I have no administrative authority of the name
servers showing this condition. I'm just noticed the behaviour whilst
checking on a DNS hosting migration for a client of the name servers
exhibiting the behaviour.

Would someone be able to advise me on:

 1. How bad it may be for an authoritative or delegating name server to
    be exhibiting this behaviour?
 2. Does this potentially cause a resolution outage, or would a BIND
    server adjust and re-query in order to obtain a usable result?
 3. Is the BIND server non-compliant, or the likely Microsoft DNS
    non-compliant, to an RFC?
 4. How would I explain such an issue to a name server operator who I do
    not know?

I appreciate any guidance provided. I apologies in advance if I violated
any list policy. Thanks for any assistance.

*REFERENCE*

    [1] FORMERR from Microsoft DNS Server for DIG. Posted January 20,
    2017 at 11:18 PM MST by Kevin Locke
    <https://kevinlocke.name/bits/2017/01/20/formerr-from-microsoft-dns-server-for-dig
    <https://kevinlocke.name/bits/2017/01/20/formerr-from-microsoft-dns-server-for-dig>>.

Regards,