[dns-operations] Quad9 DNSSEC Validation?

Scott Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:33:44 UTC 2021

I've scanned the response below. I have a number of other things on my
plate at this moment and that response requires a more careful read.

I did, however, want to respond immediately that it does appear to address
my primary concern as the irs.gov operator, which was the lack of
transparency.

Hopefully the .gov NTA can be narrowed since it is and has been the full
intent of the IRS for the past decade that our advertised DNS security
information should be used and enforced.

NIST does a pretty good job of monitoring the DNSSEC status of second level
domains in .gov. The color coding for the last column (DNSSEC) is not
necessarily intuitive. Because it is also tracking compliance, red means
unsigned and insecure delegation. (No signatures and no DS record in the
parent gTLD.) So those zones will validate properly as insecure zones even
though they are out of compliance. It's the yellow zones that have a DNSSEC
issue. That could be the presence of a DS record in the gTLD zone but no
signatures, a mismatch between the DS record and KSK, or some other signing
issue. I didn't go through the list in detail, so I'm not sure how a zone
with signatures but no DS record in the parent would be color coded. A zone
like that would be out of compliance, but would resolve just fine as an
insecure zone.

If you are checking a zone in .gov, the NIST validator should be one place
to look.

https://fedv6-deployment.antd.nist.gov/cgi-bin/generate-gov

Thanks for the response and it does address my main concern. We would also
like to see irs.gov and our other domains validated at Quad9 and everywhere
else, but that's something that has been improving gradually over time.
According to the APNIC Labs data it should be up to roughly a third of US
endpoints now.

I have a longer discussion on NTAs and their utility from a complex
enterprise network perspective I can share later, but I did want to say the
IRS does not add any NTAs for any public zone, including other .gov zones.
That is our policy. If it is a failure at another agency, we work to
contact them and have them fix their problem sometimes through application
or service contacts. If there is an error in our own signing, it impacts
our entire network. Until the issue is resolved, the site or application
will not be available to our employees. I recognize that's an advantage of
being a closed enterprise network rather than a public DNS provider or even
an ISP.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott