[dns-operations] [Ext] DNS Flag Day 2020 will become effective on 2020-10-01

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Sep 16 15:57:34 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 03:16:45PM +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 16/09/2020 09:11, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > There are a number of issues.
>
> > Stupid firewalls that block PTB messages.  Solution, fragment at network MTU.
>
> Let me rephrase that for you:  "Solution, fragment at network MTU (a
> value that you cannot efficiently discover)."

i'm not mark but if i were i'd resent you trying to put words in my mouth.

in any case please consider whether we are building for today's network or
for some larger and more mature future network. if the latter, then RFC 8899
(and RFC 8900) are in scope. this thing went through 22 revisions and came
out of that process with its coherence and practicality intact.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8899/

this is why draft-fujiwara-avoid-fragmentation says to use technology like
PLPMTUD if it's available, and if it works, use the learned PMTU, and only
otherwise, use a prefam MTU estimate. (and there's controversy over both
that estimate and the recommendation of setting DONTFRAG on DNS datagrams.)

it doesn't have to work today in order to be considered viable and desirable.

see also attached. the voiceover and video for it is on the dns-oarc web site.

--
Paul Vixie