[dns-operations] Seeking Advice: RIPEstat no longer recognizes my sub-zone under .university

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Sep 7 08:43:57 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 02:52:45PM +0700,
 Pirawat WATANAPONGSE <pirawat.w at ku.th> wrote
 a message of 123 lines which said:

> I notice that one of our zones, “kasetsart.university”, is no longer
> recognized by the RIPEstat Tool Suite [Reference:
>
>https://stat.ripe.net/widget/reverse-dns-ip#w.resource=158.108.216.5],

For me, the domain kasetsart.university works fine. It is also the
opinion of Zonemaster <https://zonemaster.net/result/23eec5fb292cc0de>
and of DNSviz
<https://dnsviz.net/d/kasetsart.university/X1W8sA/dnssec/>.

Since the main weakness of this domain is the lack of diversity in
authoritative name servers' IP addresses, I guess that your problem
comes from a routing issue between RIPE NCC and 158.108.0.0/16 (and
2406:3100::/32). Another guess (may be they're both true): the message
"kasetsart.university is of an unsupported resource type. It should be
a hostname." may come from a obsolete hardcoded list of TLDs at
RIPEstat (the other names are ancient TLDs).