[dns-operations] which breakage is this? FreeBSD.org / systemd-resolved

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Oct 29 20:17:16 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-29 20:31, Phil Pennock wrote:
> I am so tired of dealing with systemd-resolved; I replace it on servers,
> but the alternatives for a roaming laptop are even buggier (in the
> resolver management, rather than in the actual resolver).
>
> Which breakage is this, does anyone know?
>
> % host www.FreeBSD.org
> Host www.FreeBSD.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
> % host www.freebsd.org
> www.freebsd.org is an alias for wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org.
> wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org has address 96.47.72.84
> wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org has IPv6 address 2610:1c1:1:606c::50:15
> wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org mail is handled by 0 .

I can only first suggest starting to use 'dig', as then it also shows
you which is the server that is answering you and it is using TCP or
not, just in case a random one is chosen from some config snippet.

Note that upstream servers, NAT/firewall/router boxes can interfere with
DNS and cause weird/unknown results too.

Greets,
  Jeroen