[dns-operations] Speaking of fixing things...

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at ogud.com
Fri Nov 6 13:50:09 UTC 2020

> On Oct 30, 2020, at 1:46 PM, Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dickson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Victor,
> Would you mind checking the list for domains with broken signed delegations to anything matching *.domaincontrol.com <http://domaincontrol.com/> (GoDaddy's nameservers), including categorization (e.g. lame NS, vs non-lame NS with broken signature)?
> My suspicion is there may be a bunch of lame delegations, and knowing which TLDs (and if possible domains!) would be greatly appreciated.
> Cleaning up lame delegations is neither easy nor fast, but we do want to actually clean them up.

HI Victor,
Thanks for bringing this up.

Can you send me the list for domains under ns.cloudflare.com <http://ns.cloudflare.com/>

> (The root issue is there is currently no path for the delegatee to get the lame delegation removed. None. Nada. :-( )

CDS was supposed to address this but as you say it does not work when domain becomes lame or when operator is changed w/o removing/updating the old DS records.

There are many reasons why a domain can go lame including other  that the domain is kicked off a system for non-payment, policy violations, etc.

> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 10:59 PM Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org <mailto:ietf-dane at dukhovni.org>> wrote:
> I have a list of ~69k domain names with extant DS RRsets, where the
> DNSKEY RRset has been either unavailable or failing validation for 180
> days or more (92k domains if the bar is set to 90 days).  These span 439
> TLDs!  Of these domains, ~30k are simply lame and zone apex NS lookups
> fail even with CD=1.  The remaining ~39k likely have DNSSEC-specific
> misconfiguration.

The question that needs to be asked is this 69K number unreasonable ?

There are many reasons why a domain can go lame including other  that the domain is kicked off a system for non-payment, policy violations, etc.
As for the DNSSEC-specific misconfigurations there are probably two main reasons
a) Signing not working
b) Automated key rollover not reflected in DS

A interesting question is how many of those “problems” are solved when the domain registration expires ?
Or the converse question have any of those domains been renewed in the last 180  days ?
which brings up another question does the TLD make a difference on renewal of lame domains ?

Olafur