[dns-operations] OARConline 32a - At a glance

Denesh Bhabuta :: DNS-OARC denesh at dns-oarc.net
Wed Jun 10 18:54:18 UTC 2020

OARConline 32a - At a Glance

238 watched the webinar (274 Registered)
.. from 42 countries
.. representatives from at least 115 organisations
.. 74 (31%) were first time attendees at an OARC workshop
.. 153 from OARC Member organizations
.. 8 from OARC Supporter organizations
.. 236 max concurrent views

There were 7 Speakers and 7 Presentations
. <https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc32a>

Dear colleagues

The inaugural OARConline workshop took place on June 9th from 19:00 - 21:00 UTC.

We would like to thank you and everyone - participants, speakers, patrons, the crew - who helped make it a great success.  We would also like to thank the two standby speakers - Joao Luis Silva Damas (for Geoff Huston) and John Heidemann (for Wes Hardaker) - in case the main aforementioned speakers were unable to make it on the day.

If you are interested, there is a summary on how we achieved the online workshop with some of the decisions we took, at the end of this email.

=====

[ ARCHIVES ]

We have an archive of presentations and recordings for our meetings.

All the OARConline 32a presentation slides are linked to each of the agenda items at:

. <https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc32a>

The video recordings are currently being post-processed and we will email you again once these are available.

=====

[ PATRONS ]

Patronage shows support of the workshops over a period of a calendar year and enables OARC to be more effective in future planning, developing and organising workshops. We would like to thank our patron so far in 2020:

Promoter: Verisign

If you would like to be a Corporate Patron or even sponsor any of our individual workshops (we now have OARConline specific sponsorship opportunities), please refer to the document at the link below:

. <https://www.dns-oarc.net/workshop/patronage-sponsorship>

We are also open to receiving donations from individuals and organizations via:

. <https://www.dns-oarc.net/donate>

=====

[ FOLLOW ]

A reminder that you may subscribe to our  discussion mailing list and various social media channels.

LinkedIn: <https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=1713597>

Instagaram & FaceBook: dnsoarc

Twitter, Medium & YouTube: @dnsoarc

=====

[ HOW ]

OARC workshops have a global audience. So it was decided at an early stage to run different OARConline workshops in various timezones - as no one particular timezone would suit everyone.

Our Programme Committee is also made up of people from various parts of the world, and as online workshops need a smaller crew, they decided on having the inaugural OARConline workshop led by only two of their members from similar timezones. Dave Knight and Jake Zack put themselves forward - both in US Eastern timezone, with PC Chair Shumon Huque providing support during the programme planning.

Thus, OARConline 32a was planned to be in a time suitable for US Eastern Timezone, but also suitable for some other timezones.

This was originally planned to start at at 17:00 UTC [10:00 US Pacific ; 13:00 US Eastern ; 19:00 CEST]

Parallel to this, OARC staff Keith Mitchell, Matt Pounsett and I (Denesh Bhabuta) started working on the logistics and tech planning.

As the programme content was taking shape, it became clear we needed to shift the start and end time of the workshop slightly - 2 of the speakers were from Oceania!

It was decide to move the workshop by a couple of hours to accommodate them. The new start time being 19:00 UTC [12:00 US Pacific ; 15:00 US Eastern ; 21:00 CEST ; 05:00 AEST (Day + 1) ; 07:00 NZST (Day +1)]

The smaller meeting crew this time around (the aforementioned staff and PC member Ulrich Wisser along with the aforementioned PC members) rehearsed and ran the show. A smaller crew because there was no registration desk, or the need to set up a network and AV, nor was there a need for multiple session chairs or mic runners.

We ran two rehearsals. Each one an hour in length. One with the crew, the other with the crew and speakers - and we are thankful to the speakers (and their standbys) for spending their time helping us with this to ensure we had a smooth run on the day itself.

Matt hosted the Zoom webinar, Keith was co-host, and I was general admin for the session. Dave and Jake were the main session chairs, Q&A monitors and timekeepers. Shumon and Ulrich managed the twitter postings and I managed the Instagram and Facebook postings.

This was definitely a whole new experience for us. We always run a backchannel for meeting ops and this was no different in that respect. It was just different in the way we had to do everything remotely. The backchannel also had staff members Sue Graves and Jerry Lundström who were accessing the webinar as standard audience members and keeping us informed of any issues that came up from that point of view from their Internet connections.

We have learned from it and have made our notes on what we can do differently or better in the future… but this is also where you come in.. please complete the surveys at the link in the Feedback section above.

=====

Best Regards
Denesh Bhabuta
OARC Events Plannager