[dns-operations] [Ext] Something happening in the root?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Feb 25 18:45:09 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Ray Bellis wrote:

> Our incident report is now online at:
>
> <https://www.isc.org/docs/f-root/incident-2020-01.pdf>

 	"While a test suite was already in place, in practise it is nearly
 	 impossible to exercise every possible DNS conformance requirement."

While that statement might be true in general for DNS, it is much less
true for the root zone, and fails completely in the case of testing
DNSSEC validation against these root instances.

I understand mistakes happen, and we can look forward at improved
monitoring of the root zone and its anycast clouds. But this statement
in the report seems a weak excuse for lowering the bar of expectations
we have from root zone operators.

Paul