[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

Wes Hardaker wjhns1 at hardakers.net
Mon Dec 14 17:41:39 UTC 2020

Patrik Fältström via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net>
writes:

> The only advice that works is to choose registrar carefully and choose
> one which do handle the expiration / renewal process to whatever you
> want.

Hi.  Recent domain loss owner here.

I recently had a few domains that I didn't have set up for auto-renewal
as I was making yearly decisions about them (IE, they weren't mission
critical).  I had the registrar's emails specifically filtered to an
important folder so I'd notice the pending expiration date.  Then...
that registar sold all their DNS services to a different one.  I lost
two domains because the new registar's mails ending up in a spam folder
before I noticed.  Whoops.

Mind you the fault was entirely mine.  But auto-renew is probably the
only safe way, as mail fails...  and as Viktor pointed out, calendars
aren't exactly perfect either.

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI