[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

Keith Mitchell keith at smoti.org
Mon Dec 14 14:47:41 UTC 2020

On 12/13/20 2:58 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> tangent, but you started it
>
>> [1] IANAL, but this rather looks like a gross over-reaction to GDPR,
>> with some registries and registrars continuing to provide usable
>> contact details with no ill consequence.  The practice even among
>> European ccTLDs varies rather widely.  It would sure be great if some
>> sense returned to this space.

Speaking personally, +1

Joining the tangent, it's particularly annoying in the case of one
bitcoin-spam operation, which is using a set of DGA domains registered
out of a small number of European ccTLDs to daily-bombard one of my orgs
in a way which seems particularly impervious to the regular RBLs. Being
able to trace these back sure would help with filtering them and/or
submitting abuse complaints.

I have a carefully-curated list of domains and IP prefixes if anyone cares.

> i realize that i am a dinosaur

I can offer you only company on that...

Keith