[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Dec 14 00:20:27 UTC 2020

In article <alpine.LSU.2.21.2012131528250.19941 at flame.m3047> you write:
>On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, Randy Bush wrote:
>> i find this extremely frustrating.  i realize that i am a dinosaur, but
>> i really want a usable response to a whois query.  compare
>
>I would just like to be able to publish whois information if I /choose/
>to rather than, for instance, Hover's broken "whois privacy" toggle which
>toggles but doesn't do anything.

I've talked to Tucows management and been part of the endless ICANN
WHOIS process. The combination at ICANN of extreme overcautiousness
and (from some parties) self-serving misunderstandings of the issue
are quite impressive.

>I've fallen back to TXT records; why the heck not, they're overloaded for
>a bunch of "prove you love me" epics already.

What's wrong with RP records?  That's what they're for.

$ host -t rp taugh.com
taugh.com has RP record hostmaster.iecc.com. rp.services.net.

R's,
John