[dns-operations] Nameserver responses from different IP than destination of request

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Aug 31 18:19:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 2:11 PM Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> * Puneet Sood via dns-operations:
>
> > We would be interested in hearing other operator's experience here.
> > Are recursive servers seeing similar behavior from authoritative
> > servers? If yes, are you discarding these responses?
> > Are there authoritative server operators who still need the
> > flexibility afforded by RFC 1035?
>
> If I recall correctly, while helping to run an academic network I
> encountered this issue on the authoritative server side.  That was
> close to twenty years ago, and even back then, it did not occur to us
> to push the resolvers to accept these incorrectly sourced responses,
> instead of getting the authoritative server operator to fix their
> setup.

The bit that I'm failing to understand is why these continue to exist
-- if everyone (or, everyone other than Google) are ignoring /
dropping these, how / why are they still on the Internet? Is it just
the $whatever are sending these are always deployed next to something
that ain't broke and the operator just hasn't noticed?
Or are perhaps more things accepting these than we expect?