[dns-operations] New OARC Chat Platform

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Aug 25 18:36:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 13:09, Fred Morris <m3047 at m3047.net> wrote:

> That's a basic question which should be asked about any technology or
> service offering: why? what purpose is it intended to serve? By their
> actions clearly some people agree and some people disagree with me. Since
> it's a members-only service, maybe only members should care. I'm done with
> the discussion now.

It is not a member only service.

The jabber service which it is replacing has been open only to the listed
contacts of member organizations—about 300 people today.  While
requirements for member use drove most of the decision making around what
software we would use, using something more flexible, usable, and easy to
manage than jabber meant that opening it up to the wider community was an
easy get, and so we did.

If this were a member only service, we would not have made an announcement
about it on dns-operations, and would not have enabled open sign up in the
software.

The purpose it's intended to serve has already been discussed up-thread;
there is a perceived need for lower latency discussions than email
affords.  We have had requests from a couple of different segments of the
community over the past many months, especially during the current
lockdown, to provide a way for people to have those discussions.