[dns-operations] New OARC Chat Platform

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Tue Aug 25 06:19:54 UTC 2020

Is this something that OARC is operating and maintaining, or is it
something that you're acting as a conduit for? The former would be
included in my definition of "rolling your own." Are there seriously no
existing communications platforms anywhere that provide adequate security?

I ask because OARC is taking on a lot, and from my naive and distant
view seems to have developed a bit of NIH syndrome. Looking at the
migration of dnsviz for example, it's not clear to me why OARC
volunteered to take that project on without adequate resourcing. And
subsequently it wasn't clear why cloud solutions weren't utilized, which
I imagine could have been cheaper, and faster. To my knowledge the
historical data is still missing, is that correct?

I don't intend this as armchair quarterbacking, I'm looking at it from
the standpoint of whether or not putting resources into OARC is a good
investment. Certainly the people involved, and the intentions of those
people, are top notch. But without good decision making to support those
intentions it's hard to justify contributing additional resources. Of
course, that's just my opinion, and I hope that I'm wrong.

Doug