[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Separating .ARPA operations from the root zone

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Aug 20 21:18:40 UTC 2020

This seems to have died down, so I figured I'd ask if you'd managed to
pull anything like consensus out of it?

I intentionally didn't comment on the proposal, because, in my view
it's none of my business -- this is a purely operational change. The
IANA is responsible for making sure that lookups for things in .ARPA
resolve correctly; if decoupling it from the current architecture and
serving it using e.g a lightly toasted eggplant results in something
easier/better/stronger/faster, that's entirely the IANA's call.

It's nice to publish the plans and ask if it's going to break
anything/if anyone sees any issues (the root and arpa are somewhat
unusual), but as long as the queries still get answered correctly, how
you do so should be entirely your business.

The IANA is competent enough that if you say this will make things
better, I have no reason to doubt it.