[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Separating .ARPA operations from the root zone

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Aug 12 21:36:09 UTC 2020

In article <alpine.LRH.2.23.451.2008121603220.119748 at bofh.nohats.ca> you write:
>I'm sad to see that the root infrastructure, an infrastructure that is
>ideal to update partially due to its extreme redundancy, would be a
>place where we keep old stuffy software instead of keeping up to date
>with new DNS technology.

If ever there were a place *not* to deploy whizzo new DNS technology,
the root is it. We don't need features, we need stability and
reliability. The fewer changes the better.

I note that this change is primarily a change to the .ARPA domain and
the only change to the root is changing NS and glue which we know they
can change reliably because they've done it for lots of other TLDs.

>I am concerned that de-coupling .arpa might lead to the zone being
>underserved. Or that IETF needs to start budgeting for running this
>zone in the future itself.

Rater than assuming that ICANN is incompetent, why don't we ask Kim
what the provisioning strategy will be.

R's,
John