[dns-operations] Random question about Google resolver behaviour and long-lived TCP sessions

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 27 10:09:15 UTC 2019

Jake Zack <jake.zack at cira.ca> wrote:

> So I guess the question for the OARC list would be...do you see this
> same kind of behaviour from Google?  And the question for Google
> is...what am I missing?  What's the need for this?

I haven't looked at this on my auth servers but I have done some tuning on
my recursive servers related to DNS-over-TLS support for Android clients.
So I wonder if Google have implemented EDNS TCP keepalive. If you change
what BIND calls tcp-advertised-timeout, do Google's TCP connection
lifetimes change to match?

Tony.
Trafalgar: Northerly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in east. Rough, occasionally
moderate at first. Fair. Good.