[dns-operations] Experiences with a post 2019 Flag Day Resolver

Hellqvist, Björn bjorn.hellqvist at teliacompany.com
Wed Sep 18 12:13:28 UTC 2019

Hi,

For us nothing really interesting happened on the Flag day on our resolvers,
since we did not update to a version that had removed these workarounds. Most
of the calls to our help desk was regarding why their zones where marked with
warnings.

But we did encountered the problem with DNS cookies before the flag day, like
1.5 years earlier, when we introduced it to our platform. It took a while to
figure out what happened since we only run 50% with it turned on and we had a
load balancer in front. So it randomly worked and failed.

We concluded then that the world was not ready for DNS cookies. One that we
contacted used a 14 year old Windows installation, they have now changed to
have BIND on the fronting delegated DNS servers.

We did also actually turn off DNS cookies to the Authoritative on the servers
to get rid of it.

BR,

Bjorn Hellqvist

Senior System Expert (Internet, DNS & Automation)

Telia Company

Solna, Sweden