[dns-operations] DNS flag day 2020: Recommended EDNS buffer size discussion

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Sep 4 17:38:25 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019, Paul Vixie wrote:

> noting, first, that these are not "flag days" and that i object to the
> political heavy-handedness of both the fake democracy used to point the weapon
> and to the harsh "power words" like "flag day" used to communicate it, i'll go
> further:

As people might expect, I fully agree with Paul V.

Transactional negotiations are far from flag day events. Anything that would
break DNS on a "flag day" would need an RFC stating "MUST NOT do this".
If we already have those RFCs, just fix up the software without the
hype. If there is a first movers disadvantage, just coordinate with the
major software vendors to do it at the same time. Heck, call the issue
a Denial of Service and get a CVE for it to allow date synchronization.

> On Monday, 2 September 2019 06:52:36 UTC Jerry Lundström wrote:

>>    <https://github.com/dns-violations/dnsflagday/issues/125>

I'm not leaving my comments on a "dnsflagday" marked isuse because I
don't want to cause: https://i.imgflip.com/39ohaf.jpg

Paul