[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Wed Nov 27 03:36:19 UTC 2019

I tend to functional questions in these matters. This is not a
symmetric pair, but they go to different sides of the problem

1) what will happen if we imagine these queries not being answered? A
hypothetical (*and, its not zero cost*) front-end process which drops
them

2) what is the consequence of continuing to answer these queries?

Noting 1) is not trivial, I believe if these queries were not
answered, there would be short-term downsides, but long-term upsides.
The problem would (I believe) go away.

Noting 2) is the "do nothing" option. The only clear consequence is
that we're incurring cost, in root instantiations. It is possible if
we go with run-root-on-local/loopback we smear the cost, but do we
reduce it?

-G