[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Tue Nov 26 13:41:51 UTC 2019

Let me try to get away from what is or is not "big" and ask two
questions.  (These are legit questions to me.  I have studied the
DNS a whole bunch, but I do not operate any non-trivial part of the
DNS and so that viewpoint is valuable to me.)

(1) Setting aside history and how things have been done and why
    (which I am happy to stipulate is rational)... At this point,
    are there tangible benefits for getting information about the
    TLD nameservers to resolvers as needed via a network service?

(2) Are there fundamental problems that would arise in recursive
    resolvers if the information about TLD nameservers was no longer
    available via a network service, but instead had to come from a
    file that was snarfed periodically?

Thanks!

allman

--