[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Mon Nov 25 20:30:32 UTC 2019

Left here to be ripped apart ... :-)

  Mark Allman. On Eliminating Root Nameservers from the DNS, ACM
  SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets), November
  2019.
  https://www.icir.org/mallman/pubs/All19b/

  Abstract:
    The Domain Name System (DNS) leverages nearly 1K distributed
    servers to provide information about the root of the Internet's
    namespace. The large size and broad distribution of the root
    nameserver infrastructure has a number of benefits, including
    providing robustness, low delays to topologically close root
    servers and a way to cope with the immense torrent of queries
    destined for the root nameservers. While the root nameserver
    service operates well, it represents a large community
    investment. Due to this large cost, in this paper we take the
    position that DNS' root nameservers should be
    eliminated. Instead, recursive resolvers should use a local copy
    of the root zone file instead of consulting root
    nameservers. This paper considers the pros and cons of this
    alternate approach.

allman

--
https://www.icir.org/mallman/