[dns-operations] Can Root DNS server modify the response?

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Mar 29 08:43:12 UTC 2019

Vittorio Bertola wrote on 2019-03-29 00:18:
>  > ...
> I agree that the thread may have drifted off topic, but you were
> justifying distrusting an entire constituency because of the actions of
> a few members, and letting another group of companies unilaterally
> decide retribution and use that distrust to replace them all, and I find
> this unhelpful and divisive (though you are certainly not the only one
> using this argument). So I thought that an analogy would make it
> immediately clear how dangerous such a precedent would be and how it
> could play in the future. No offense intended :-)
> Regards,

fwiw, your analogy hit home with me. as a network operator for both my
family and my company, i resent being lumped in with oppressive regimes
when members of the web community are trying to decide what DNS control
plane bypasses to offer. i find the ietf's post-snowden consensus on
enshrining rights for all end users including bots, malware, intruders,
poisoned supply chains, and unruly teenagers at home, at the expense of
every right (and responsibility!) of network operators to be naive knee
jerkism, unhelpful, and disrespectful.

--
P Vixie