[dns-operations] host.txt max size

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Mon Jul 22 09:38:41 UTC 2019

Actually, there are discussions about that in the forum. The answer appears to be “depends”. Mostly it seems to depend on OS version and RAM. One rule of thumb I saw there was about 8,000 entries, but that was for XP 32 bit.

The site is not about running a local server version, but how to use a hosts file to perform filtering by FQDN, including discussion about the differences between using 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 as the entry.

It’s pretty exhaustive in its discussion, and rather than provide information that might not apply to the particular situation at hand, I thought it would be more helpful to direct you to the canonical source on the matter as it applies to Windows.