[dns-operations] DNSViz Status Update

Matthew Pounsett matt at dns-oarc.net
Wed Jul 17 21:07:17 UTC 2019

Hi all.

Unfortunately, after slightly more than 9 days running, the reindex of the dnsviz database has failed due to insufficient disk space.  I had hoped that running this with the database process in single-user mode would not only run faster, but also be smart about its use of storage, and those hopes have been dashed.

I originally chose to do a reindex in place because I believed it would be the fastest option.  Chalk that up to a failure of imagination on my part.  Plan B is now to do a dump of the database, wipe the data files, and restore.  While this is also expected to take a while (more than a couple days, less than a month) it has the benefit of allowing us to upgrade the database software at the same time—something I had been hoping to get done this summer anyway.

Casey’s past experience with this database suggests that we should be able to do the dump and restore in a few days (I’m guessing 3-4).  Rebuilding the indexes will take much longer, but we’ll have the option of turning the database functions of the service back on while that’s happening.  Performance is expected to be poor while the indexes are regenerating, so we’ll have to do some testing and make a judgement call at the time about whether to leave the DB functions of the site online during that period.

Thanks again for your patience, everyone.  I’ll keep you updated on the status.

Matt Pounsett
DNS-OARC Systems Engineering