[dns-operations] 0x20 breakage *over TCP* from CDNS servers affecting 35 TLDs

Zenon Mousmoulas zmousm at noc.grnet.gr
Mon Jan 28 18:09:17 UTC 2019

Hello.

We have observed that DNS servers operated by CommunityDNS (CDNS) break DNS 0x20, but this happens *only* for queries over TCP.

One might argue that 0x20, as a mitigation strategy, only has any practical value for queries and responses over UDP. Yet neither the DNS 0x20 I-D explicitly differentiates TCP from UDP, nor any implementation that I know of. Unbound resolver, for example, once use-caps-for-id is enabled, observes 0x20 for all responses, regardless the transport. Beyond that, the fact that CDNS servers respect 0x20 when queried over UDP makes me think this is perhaps an oversight.

User reports for Let's Encrypt (LE) issuance failures initially drew our attention to this issue. LE enforce 0x20 in unbound resolvers employed by ACME servers. As of recent they also cap EDNS buffer size to 512 bytes, effectively pushing more queries to TCP. Tests showed that DNS requests over TCP hitting a particular TLD server lead to SERVFAIL, due to both 0x20 and fallback mechanism breakage. This is also more likely to happen when the delegation chain points to NS in the affected TLD.

We reported this to the affected TLD. I later wrote to CDNS myself when I realized this affects more TLDs, and I also reported it to LE:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/widespread-servfail-problem-related-to-dns-0x20/83812/5

The spread of this breakage and the fact that I could not find any previous discussion on the matter prompted me to also post to this list.

As of today this issue affects the following TLDs and NS currently in the root zone:

ac.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a1.ac.
ac.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a3.ac.
am.			172800	IN	NS	ns-cdn.amnic.net.
be.			172800	IN	NS	x.ns.dns.be.
bn.			172800	IN	NS	ns1.bnnic.bn.
brussels.		172800	IN	NS	x.nic.brussels.
bs.			172800	IN	NS	ns36.cdns.net.
ch.			172800	IN	NS	g.nic.ch.
dm.			172800	IN	NS	ns34.cdns.net.
fi.			172800	IN	NS	e.fi.
gr.			172800	IN	NS	gr-c.ics.forth.gr.
hu.			172800	IN	NS	ns-com.nic.hu.
io.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a1.io.
io.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a3.io.
li.			172800	IN	NS	g.nic.li.
lt.			172800	IN	NS	c.tld.lt.
lu.			172800	IN	NS	k.dns.lu.
lv.			172800	IN	NS	c.nic.lv.
mo.			172800	IN	NS	ns17.cdns.net.
my.			172800	IN	NS	ns30.cdns.net.
ng.			172800	IN	NS	ns1.nic.net.ng.
ph.			172800	IN	NS	ph.communitydns.net.
pl.			172800	IN	NS	h-dns.pl.
scb.			172800	IN	NS	c.nic.scb.
sh.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a1.sh.
sh.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a3.sh.
si.			172800	IN	NS	g.dns.si.
th.			172800	IN	NS	c.thains.co.th.
tm.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a1.tm.
tm.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a2.tm.
tm.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a3.tm.
tm.			172800	IN	NS	ns-a4.tm.
ua.			172800	IN	NS	cd1.ns.ua.
vlaanderen.		172800	IN	NS	x.nic.vlaanderen.
vn.			172800	IN	NS	a.dns-servers.vn.
xn--fzc2c9e2c.		172800	IN	NS	lk.communitydns.net.
xn--mgbx4cd0ab.		172800	IN	NS	ns30.cdns.net.
xn--mix891f.		172800	IN	NS	ns17.cdns.net.
xn--qxam.		172800	IN	NS	gr-c.ics.forth.gr.
xn--xkc2al3hye2a.	172800	IN	NS	lk.communitydns.net.
xn--y9a3aq.		172800	IN	NS	ns-cdn.amnic.net.

Regards,
Zenon Mousmoulas
GRNET NOC