[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Dec 11 15:57:52 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 03:51:14PM +0000,
 Livingood, Jason <Jason_Livingood at comcast.com> wrote
 a message of 7 lines which said:

> Seems like the answer then is to have the resolver check for updates
> more frequently. The file is tiny and so this is not in the least
> going to be resource-intensive. Just check every XX minutes.

This assumes that all resolvers will be well-behaved. If it were the
case, we wouldn't need this proposal at all since proper caching and
RFC 8020 would keep junk local.

My concern is with the bad resolvers: they will have outdated copies
of the zone, that's for sure. The choice is between "damn them,
proceed anyway" (in the spirit of the DNS flag day) or "continue to
accomodate bad resolvers". The first option will be hard to sell to
the "stakeholders". I imagine the announcement "Root name service will
be discontinued on 1 november 2030. Check that your resolver correctly
implements RFC XXXX."