[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Dec 11 12:51:51 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 10:17:30AM -0500,
 Mark Allman <mallman at icir.org> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

> Obviously, there could be a more comprehensive analysis, but I think
> that gives some idea about how stable the root zone file is in
> practice.

IMHO, this is by far the biggest issue with your proposal: TLDs change
from one technical operator to another and, when it happens, all name
servers change at once. Should your proposal be implemented, we would
have to debug problems with root zones outdated by 1, 2, 3 months and
some TLD working for some resolvers but not all. (True, we already
have resolver-specific issues, but I think it would aggravate the
problem.)

This would have anti-competitive consequences, discouraging TLD
holders to swap technical operators.