[dns-operations] DNSViz Status Update

Matthew Pounsett matt at dns-oarc.net
Sun Aug 11 14:42:50 UTC 2019

Apologies for the long break in updates.  The last few steps have, once again, taken longer than expected, and we ran into another hardware surprise that delayed things by a couple of weeks.

The export of the database actually stuck to the estimate, and was done in slightly over four days.  However, the reinstall of the server, in order to get a more recent OS and PGSQL version, did not go as expected.  We appeared to have a somewhat random ability to boot from USB, as well as issues using the server’s optical drive.  Because of the limited number of things that can be requested of the data centre remote hands, and the long round trip time on support tickets, troubleshooting this took a very long time.

Many thanks are owed to Peter Losher for coming in this weekend to help with the hands-on work to speed this up.  In a couple of hours we managed to narrow the problem down and get the server running again.

The DB is currently importing.  Based on recent experience, I’m expecting the import and index generation to take approximately three weeks.  I’m now taking a much delayed vacation, but Casey will be keeping an eye on the import while I’m gone.  If it is done unexpectedly early he’ll be a able to re-enable the DB functions on the web service.

Thanks again for your patience everyone.  We seem to actually be in the home stretch now.

Matt Pounsett
DNS-OARC Systems Engineering